Archives for posts with tag: Stencils

I took a sheet of Black Canson Mi Tientes and tore it down following Teesha Moore’s 16 page journal instructions. You can google it – if I link it the video shows up and I don’t like that.

I monoprinted both sides of each sheet (3 sheets make up the 16 pages with flaps also counting as a page. I will do further printing on some later this week when I’m with my friends in the city.

I will also do more stamping. The white marks below are some preliminary marks made with fun foam stamps and acrylic paint. The blue circles are made with the end of a cork I found while walking.

At the same time I cleaned my brayer off on blank journal spreads in my small Moleskine.

After awhile I started monoprinting directly on the spreads by actually putting the open book facedown on the Gel Printing Plate.

I ended up with twelve-ish spreads and will try to do some stamping as another layer later this week.

All of this printing was to basically get an interesting background on which to do something or other one of these days. See “Underground Tales” and “Getting There Tales” from last month and the very beginning of this month.

(If anyone is curious about the process there are very good videos on line demonstrating monoprinting using the Gel Printing Plate. It is a very quick, easy and fun process.)

Advertisements

Page #7 (with flap) & #8

Page #10

Page #11

The End.

(background: gelli printing; images: stencils, black gesso)

Page 3

Pages 5 & 6. This is the center spread.

(background: gelli printing; images: stencils, black gesso)

Page 1 (inside front cover)

Page 2 and opened flap

(background: gelli printing; images: stencils, black gesso)

Remember back when I was describing the making of “Underground Tales” I mentioned that it all started while Gelli printing with my friends at Shirley’s place? How, after I spread the acrylic paint on the plate, I cleaned off the brayer not on a piece of random paper but on nine different spreads of my Moleskine sketch journal? Helter Skelter. Remember?

The proper printing was taking place on Arches 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper (this is what I found already in my stash) that I had torn down into smaller pieces with the intent to make a book following Teesha Moore’s 16 page journal instructions. I didn’t know if it would be too thick for this first adventure in gelli printing but it seemed to work just fine.

At home (boardonironingboard studio annex of teentytinytable studio) I worked on these pages in tandem with the Moleskine using the same self-made, very old, printing ink encrusted stencils, a brush and black gesso. Each page is 8″x10″ and there are four flaps. I had some text floating around inside the noggin but it just isn’t gelling (he he that just came out by itself) so, for now or forever, this is how they are. It seems that when I hit this kind of wall it is because there is still something I haven’t yet learned (really?) and it will come in good time – or not. The pages will be bound with a five hole pamphlet stitch. Probably. I seem to have come up with a different idea while I was walking yesterday.

Back cover. Front cover.

I was going to say they ARE bound but it seems I can’t even tell a stupid little temporary fib like this to the couple/few people who will actually read this. Sigh.

***

And that is The End of the little tale contained within my Moleskine sketch journal.

***

More journal pages.

Went for a walk, aerated the brain, and returned with another idea.

Not complaining.

Last month Benedicte, Gloria and I met around Shirley’s dining room table and, using acrylic paint and Gel Printing Plates, had a messy blast. We came prepared with paper torn down from a sheet of watercolor paper following Teesha Moore’s 16 page journal instructions and proceeded to print and overprint on both sides. Loads of miscellaneous papers were also tried.

I used pages of my little Moleskine sketch book as a place to clean off excess paint from the brayer and to also use some of the fun foam stamps we were using on the Gelli plates. I ended up with nine willy-nilly kind of background spreads in the journal.

The time sure sped by and then before I knew it I was on a subway headed downtown to have some Pad Thai (yum) with Benedicte and a meeting of the Textile Study Group of which she is a member and I was a guest.

A couple of days later I got out my old printmaking stencils (from days of monotype making on an etching press), black gesso, a  brush and worked on a spread in the Moleskine and a page of the larger journal. Day by day the story in my head was coming out and I was pleased.

Still, there was danger lurking in the sidelines.

iPat kept reminding me that there was a drawing in her that ONLY needed a bit of cleanup around the edges. Temptation. Like potato chips – bet you can’t eat (do) just one. BUT I WAS STRONG. I knew as soon as I put stylus to screen that the brush in the other room would languish, gesso coagulate and paper shrivel and crumble.