Archives for category: Mixed Media

I was really unhappy with the monotype that produced this ghost print which was worse. No one was ever going to see either I decided, but, even though the print was awful I kinda liked the drawing. I let it hang out awhile where I could see it and mutter “ugh” each time I passed by. With nothing to lose I took the watersoluble crayons and pencils to both the print and ghost and am very happy with the results. I prefer the ghost even though the original monotype is basically the same.

Japanese printmaking paper; Monotype ghost print enhanced with Caran d’Ache Neocolor II and Inktense pencils.

Again, I had too much ink on the plate when I did this transfer monotype. Nothing acrylic paint couldn’t fix. A mess of a portrait transformed.

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party

A piece of thin Japanese printmaking paper was placed onto an inked copper plate and, with a ball point pen that no longer had ink, I drew, referring to a JKPP Flickr group photo (that I reversed using my iPad), on the back of the Japanese paper. The result was a Transfer Monotype.

Oil based printing ink, Japanese paper, acrylic paint.

This transfer monotype was awful – too much ink on the plate rendered the drawing almost indistinguishable. I was disappointed but saved it to play with at home. With nothing to lose I painted over the print with acrylic. Success!

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party

A piece of thin Japanese printmaking paper was placed onto an inked copper plate and, with a ball point pen that no longer had ink, I drew, referring to a JKPP Flickr group photo (that I reversed using my iPad), on the back of the Japanese paper. The result was a Transfer Monotype.

Oil based printing ink, Japanese paper, acrylic paint.

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party

A piece of thin Japanese printmaking paper was placed onto an inked copper plate and, with a ball point pen that no longer had ink, I drew, referring to a JKPP Flickr group photo (that I reversed using my iPad), on the back of the Japanese paper. The result was a Transfer Monotype.

Oil based printing ink, Japanese paper, Caran d’Ache Neocolor II

I added some acrylic paint and Caran d’Ache Neocolor II Crayons to this print.

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party

A piece of thin Japanese printmaking paper was placed onto an inked copper plate and, with a ball point pen that no longer had ink, I drew, referring to a JKPP Flickr group photo (that I reversed using my iPad), on the back of the Japanese paper. The result was a Transfer Monotype.

Oil based printing ink, Japanese paper, Acrylic Paint, Neocolor II

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party

A piece of thin Japanese printmaking paper was placed onto an inked copper plate and, with a ball point pen that no longer had ink, I drew, referring to a JKPP Flickr group photo (that I reversed using my iPad), on the back of the Japanese paper. The result was a Transfer Monotype.

Oil based printing ink, Japanese paper, Neocolor II water soluble crayons.

Well, I guess I was getting tired because this transfer monotype was Really Over-inked. I’m supposed to improve – not get worse! Thank goodness for acrylic paint.

Then I attempted drawing with ink using a chopstick. I had my doubts but it does work. This time I used Caran d’ache Neocolor II crayons.

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party (referred to photo put on JKPP Flickr Group supplied by subject for this purpose)

#1 Akua Intaglio Ink, plexiglass, Japanese paper; acrylic paint

#2 waterproof ink, chopstick, Caran d’ache Neocolor II, waterbrush

My second attempt monoprinting with the Akua Intaglio Ink was semi-successful. It’s different printing with waterbased inks in a kitchen from printing with oil based ink and using a press. I need practice and this was just the first day. There was too much ink on the plate so the monotype was not very good. Out came the acrylic paint.

Sigh. I over-inked the plate again for the transfer monotype. That’s one of my problems – discerning the right amount of ink.

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party (referred to photo put on JKPP Flickr Group supplied by subject for this purpose)

Akua Intaglio Ink, plexiglass, Japanese paper.

I bought a jar of Akua Waterbased Intaglio Ink and tried mono printing on a small square of plexiglass on my boardonironingboard studio annex. It works! My first try needed a bit of touch up with some of the ink and a brush – but not much.

I tried printing a ghost image but it was too pale and washed out. Almost tossed in the trash but decided to see what would happen if I painted over it with acrylic. Warhol-ish Jill.

And, of course, I tried a transfer monotype which worked nicely. Maybe less ink on the plate would be better. Someday I’ll paint this one also.

JKPP = Julia Kay’s Portrait Party (referred to photo put on JKPP Flickr Group supplied by subject for this purpose)

Akua Ink, plexiglass, paper (Japanese and something else)

After I did a transfer monotype (seen in a previous post some time ago) using this drawing, I noticed that there was sufficient ink remaining on the copper plate so I decided to keep working on the plate and run it through the press. Well, it printed out just fine, but I hated it. Destined for the garbage heap. One day last week I was using acrylics for a project I’ve been working on and decided to see what would happen if I painted over the oil based printing ink.

I referred to a sketch that had been drawn from life in a small gridded notebook and then colored in my iPAD while on the High Line with NYC Urban Sketchers. Arches printmaking paper.
Acrylic paint